Deconstructing Fashion Podcast
What we’re wearing: dressing gowns
Anushka has been working from home, which makes it very difficult to wear anything other than her dressing gown. Luckily, she’s not alone.
Click to enlarge image
The debate: what’s the excuse for wearing fur?
We have come a long way from the anti-fur paint-throwing activities of the 1980s and nude PETA campaigns of the 1990s. Today, fur is increasingly being presented as an ethical fashion option. But does sustainability really win out over fur’s long-standing associations of glamour, luxury and sex appeal?
See: Mad Men Season 4, Episode 6: Waldorf Stories. Don Draper sells Roger a fur coat.
What they’re wearing: poets, loungewear, class
We discuss the poet Caleb Femi, the Young People’s Laureate for London, who recently performed his poetry at Jazz Verse Jukebox, an evening of poetry with a live jazz band, at Hoxton Hall in East London. He wore a tracksuit.
(Photo from the Jazzverse Jukebox Twitter account)
- Bill Clinton wore a fetching pantsuit for Hillary Clinton’s nomination
- Moschino Fall 2014: the McDonalds collection.
- Dr Joanne Turney has written about knitwear and crime in her book The Culture of Knitting (2009): see Chapter Four: Unravelling the Surface – Unhomely Knitting.
- Classed forms of conspicuous leisure: yoga pants vs tracksuits. Yoga pants are satirised in this Youtube video.
- Anushka rambles on about the horrors of the job centre. We suggest watching Ken Loach’s latest (2016) film I, Daniel Blake if you don’t know what she is talking about.
- A quick guide on how to be a bohemian.
iTunes: Deconstructing Fashion
Facebook: Deconstructing Fashion
E-mail: hello @ deconstructingfashionpod.com
Image: Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce (1945, dir. Michael Curtiz)
Podcast music: Pheori